| 0 comments ]

Our first day of training was from an ex-marine Mr. Miller, who I thought does a really fantastic job at delivery the curriculum in an unbiased matter. In fact, I learned just from watching his instruction that he is more comfortable with putting a question back on the poser so that the poser actually answers the question themselves. College Preparatory Math is a project based mathematics curriculum that we will be putting in place at our high school this year. As an instructor, it takes the role of a information deliverer out of the hands of the instructor and turns them into a guide into the wide world of math. Of course the instructor is still responsible for teaching, classroom structure, and direction which is what is expected of a teacher, but there primary role is really create an environment where the students can investigate solutions themselves. The bumps in the road on the first day came from "what if" questions.

Download Drill of Basic Math for Snmptn


  1. Download Question
  2. Download Solutions

I myself asked some "what if" questions as if we were all trying to pigeon hole all classroom instruction into one perfect little model. The solution to all of our "what if" questions was simply answered by Mr. Miller with two different answers. His first matter of fact answer was that he does not make policy for individual cases, with an example of "Congress does not create speeding laws and then spend the next 100 days discussing special cases of people who break those laws." His second answer was even more simplistic. I thought this was an excellent response. After all, changing the way that we teach mathematics, does not mean we should have to sacrifice all aspects of classroom management.
My biggest complaint at this point is the vast amount of material it seems I have to digest and how much this is going to take me out of my classroom comfort zone. The text and resource materials seems to much to handle, but I don't think it is more than any other textbook plan. As far as the comfort zone--I think CPM is going to make me interact with my math students much more than I did in the past. I may not have that luxury of sneaking 10 minutes out of a 85 minute period to finish my grading.
My impression after one day is mostly favorable. I really think that once we get over this first hill and get the curriculum started that we are going to see much better results in mathematical logic and understanding which has precisely been my pet peeve for the past 10 years.

0 comments

Post a Comment